Monday, September 27, 2010

And my oldest makes Salsa

The matriarch went to my Mom's, made Chili Sauce, and returned home with 8 bottles. My mother thought it could be used in the making of Chili Con Carne.

"No, no, no," I told her, "It is a kind of relish or chutney."

"What do I want that for?" My mother asked.

I looked at her; what did she think my problem was? Worse yet, the matriarch knew her Chili Sauce wasn't the same; my husband knew it wasn't the same. My mother-in-law is 99 and eats sugar all the time; of course, it couldn't possibly taste the same as it used to; the matriarch no longer tastes food in the same way. So, there are 8 jars of Chili Sauce in my cupboard which no one will eat--including my mother-in-law because she doesn't like it. Such is life.

My oldest, also a pickler, made Salsa and the matriarch ate some.

"That's quite spicy," she said, eating another spoonful. We usually eat Salsa with Tortillas but the matriarch cannot chew the hard chips and, instead, just ate the stuff out of a bowl. I was surprised at how much she ate. Her eyes watered a bit and I thought she would have stopped, but the woman really enjoyed it. She cannot taste her own sauce but thinks my child's is just wonderful and wonders how it will go on mashed potatoes. I shake my head and wonder if my oldest will have to make another 24, 48 or 72 jars; God knows, the matriarch can eat and eat more when she likes something in particular.

1 comment:

  1. The recipe used by your mother was the one YOU sent to her, and it wasn't too far off what the matriarch quoted from memory. The matriarch's recipe can be used in Chile Con Carne. So don't throw away the jars! Give them back to your mother! Chili peppers, meat and kidney beans are all that needs to be added to the matriarch's Chili recipe, to make Chili Con Carne. (After the matriarch spending close to four hours -which was very thoughtful and kind of her to do so- sitting on an upright chair supervising the operation, it was only fair to offer her half the batch, eight jars. The matriarch said, to improve the flavour, the jars had to sit for a month before opening. You obviously opened one too soon.

    ReplyDelete