Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Words on Christmas Leftovers

All the matriarch wanted for Christmas was food. She specifically asked the children for home baked goods, actually peanut butter cookies; my parents, candy; and my husband and me, chips and Werthers Caramels, the long ones. Do you ever think the food topic will go away? The matriarch is 99 and all she does is eat. All the time. I am amazed. Constantly and Consistently amazed.

This afternoon, the children and I ate leftover appetizers for lunch. There was pate, all kinds of cheeses, olives and crackers. The matriarch originally wanted a soft boiled egg--well, I mean she ate that first. Then, with her squinty eyes, she asked me what we were having and if she could have some. So, she tried the Stilton, the Wiltshire (yes, I know we like smelly cheeses), some strange cheddar bought at the St. Lawrence Market and then settled on the old favourite, orange cheddar and some crackers, and toast, and an olive which she didn't like. And, she spat out none of it. I don't know how she chewed it but she swallowed it all and broke no wind. Consistently, constantly amazed.

When I told my husband of the day, he said I am changing her, making his mother into the kind of mother-in-law I would really like. I asked if he was being sarcastic. But it is better when she is involved and shows a little imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment