Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A Surreal Moment in Time

We've run out of salt and not just because of the frequency of kitchen fires. So, we went to the doctor's to make sure the matriarch was still okay (she's putting salt on her potato chips), arranged for some blood tests re: sodium blood levels, and heard the doctor mention from now on, it would be a quality of life issue.

You think?

Then, he and all the staff made a point of coming to shake the matriarch's hand to wish her a Happy Birthday.

The matriarch was suitably impressed but when we got to the car, asked me if the doctor had forgotten her birthday is in June. Why would they be wishing her a Happy Birthday the end of March?

She wondered if he was getting old what with the forgetfulness and everything.

What exactly do you say to this?

The doctor does not want to see the matriarch unless she is sick because there is nothing to be done for a healthy 100 year old. Do you understand what I am saying? He fully expects her to die before the next annual checkup...I'd like to think I could agree, but I want to see the surprise on his face next March when we do show up. Heaven forbid.

But, the thing is the matriarch, like any one of us, does not think about dying. I think she should...though when you really think about it that is my hang up not her one. I don't think about my own death; well, actually, I do but I don't anticipate it. For some reason, I have a hard problem with the matriarch not anticipating her own death. She gets up everyday with the anticipation of what the day will bring. She is looking forward to the girls' piano recital this weekend. She is looking forward to lunch out with my husband tomorrow. She is planning for her birthday all ready. She sometimes still mentions a trip to Cuba. For someone who doesn't do a lot, she sure as heck has a lot of plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment