Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Who is Going to Die???

On the drive to Swiss Chalet today, the matriarch said to me, "Well, 3 people in the family died this year.  Who do you think will go next?"

It was a bizarre moment; I thought, "Chances are you will."
However, the longer one is alive the less likely one is to die.  Oddly, it's like being hit by lightening, your odds increase of being hit again simply because you have been hit once already.  The longer you are alive the greater your chances of continuing to live?  Maybe the matriarch sees herself as immortal?  She has told me she feels she is getting old--at almost 99. It seems so strange.  Anyhow, the staff at Swiss Chalet came over to wish her a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.  Sometimes, I feel like we have a private booth at that place.  We are the definition of regulars, always a Wednesday, always in the afternoon.  The children have noticed she doesn't eat as much, leaving remnants of dessert rather than completely clearing the plate.  It is still amazes me to watch her.  And, both my husband and I have noticed she tends to favour the blind eye, leaning to the right as she attempts to put food on her fork.  Why would she favour the blind side?  But, I still see her eat like a horse despite my children's observations--still takes the fruit to bed and now wants peanut butter cookies, too.  Maybe the odds are on people who eat continually....

No comments:

Post a Comment