Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Case of the Dueling Canes

At Swiss Chalet this afternoon, I watched a pair of elderly gentlemen have lunch together; when they got up to leave, one seemed to forget his cane and his friend handed it to him, only to watch the man put the cane down.  Man number one picked the cane up again, handed it over again, watched it be put down again.  Man number two was putting on his coat and hat and man number one didn't seem to understand the cane wasn't necessary; his friend could stand alone.  I felt so sorry for man number one because he didn't seem to realize the bother he was causing and I admired man number two because he never got mad.  He just accepted the cane, repeatedly put it down and tried to get his coat on without his friend's interference.  Sometimes, I feel like that--just going through the actions despite it all.

We had lunch, obviously, at Swiss Chalet again; even the Tuesday staff has begun to recognize us as regulars.  My mother-in-law is so proud to be able to treat her grandchildren for lunch; they are so patient with having to eat out every Wednesday or Tuesday.  I had taken the matriarch to the spa to get her nails done and she wanted to go out to show them off.  Hence, lunch out a day early.  The ladies at the spa are very good to my mother-in-law; today, they gave her a back massage.  She got a fright as she didn't quite know what was going on.  When we left, she told me she didn't want that to happen again; she loves having a manicure and a pedicure but this whole massage thing is beyond her.  I watched her enjoy her role as queen for a day and then come home and eat chips and peanut butter and jam and fruit and I think: What a life....

No comments:

Post a Comment