Sunday, January 3, 2010

Another 90+ Old Lady in the Neighbourhood

The local librarian has her 93 year old mother living with her.  She, too, has mild dementia and asks the same questions repeatedly, but she plays cards with her daughter every day and the routine seems to help her function.  They live down the road and I am thinking of inviting them over for tea.  Cards could be played with the large sized cards available from the CNIB.  My husband is against it; he wonders what a change in routine would be like for both seniors and the whole friendship thing scares him.  The thing about old people is they die and who wants to make friends with someone who could die any day?  Why invest the time?  I think if they are both alive in the spring, why not?  It is something to do. With it so cold right now, my mother-in-law can't get out.  So, she has nothing to do.  We brought her to my parents' for New Years Day and the walk from the house to the van and back again four times really scared her; she slipped once and couldn't see the steps in the snow.  The matriarch tries to be so independent and wouldn't take my arm and went off on her own and nearly fell.  Been there, done that, and I am not doing it again--I was right behind her and caught her.  I think the fact I have to be her net scared her, too. It is a paradox: my children love the snow, skiing and sledding; my mother-in-law hates it for its isolation.  If the snow lets up, I'll see if my husband can take the matriarch for lunch--she missed it yesterday.  I wonder if the librarian's mother does lunch?

No comments:

Post a Comment