Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Not the Swiss Chalet

This evening, the six of us went to dinner at a lovely restaurant in town. It wasn't quite as nice as the last time we had been there; then, a meal for 8 had been $600. This time, it was a community deal wherein all meals at various restaurants in Barrie were $20.10. I thought for a three course meal: appetizer, entree and dessert, the price wasn't bad. My mother-in-law wanted fish and chips. There was salmon or catfish on the menu both to be served with seasonal vegetables and rice pilaf. Just to be clear, in Canada, seasonal vegetables are root vegetables and, for a difference, a lot of restaurants who serve local or organic, like this one, try to mix it up a bit. Grated beets with last season's green beans cannot be chewed by ninety-eight year olds. I don't know why. Did I mention my mother-in-law wanted fish and chips? The evening was saved by absolutely stunning blackened catfish and incredible carrot cake. I don't think the matriarch quite appreciated the meal nor the experience but the children and my husband got out somewhere other than Swiss Chalet.

No comments:

Post a Comment