Thursday, March 4, 2010

Money

It sucks to be poor. It must be worse to have worked one's entire life, fall into dementia and have one's family rob one under the guise of providing care. I found the following article in today's Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/judge-blasts-siblings-for-neglecting-ailing-mother-during-inheritance-fight/article1488862/

The judge seriously criticized the family for their concern for their inheritance rather than for the care of their 87 year old mother. However, he did nothing to actually improve the situation for the old lady. I wonder sometimes what motivates people; money is such a shallow thing; I mean the old eventually die and situations do not go on forever. The matriarch, perhaps, is the exception. In her case, there is no money but what she gets monthly and that goes for lunch, every week, twice a week; what will be left will cover her funeral. I just don't understand what can make people think robbing their parents is somehow okay, can be justified.

Sometimes, I think our youth dominated society tends to think young knows best--and everyone seeks to stay young despite their age. My mother-in-law stopped dying her hair when she was in her late 70s; I didn't know her then but I cannot help but wonder what she thought about a head of black hair and a face lined with wrinkles. I don't dye my hair and I never have; so, I have more gray than most of my family. I don't think that's a bad thing; I am certainly not competing with my children to be younger or cooler. And, of the money situation, when you die, nothing goes with you and I do think what goes around, comes around. Although, I have a hard time believing so many parents put their children through the hell their children put them through at the end of their lives. With the baby boomers aging and their eternal youth, I can only think seniorhood is about to get worse; these people will not admit they are old and will think they are on the cusp of what is about to "be." The matriarch annoys me with her demands and expectations and her failure to recognize she is not the woman she once was; I dread living in a society filled with similarly minded people....

No comments:

Post a Comment