Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Seniors Driving

A little off topic because the Matriarch never ever drove a car. She once took a horse and sled into the ditch when she was eleven but I don't think that counts. My mother-in-law had decent eye sight till she was in her mid nineties and, even now, she is still steady on her feet. Would I trust her in a car? I would have trusted her five years ago.

I got my license when I turned 31; for one year, I lived in a small town, with no transit, and 3 children under 4. My life changed when I got my license and I could go to the grocery store. Independence is very much linked with the ability to get around. My heart goes out to seniors and their independence and their driving licenses. It seems tragically unfair to take someone's license away simply because of age; I can understand eyesight and general health concerns but, all things being considered, I don't think seniors' age an extreme danger. There have been a number of accidents, lately, which seem to indicate age related dangers. However, accidents also happen to the young and healthy.

Most older people don't drive at night; some do. Most older people drive locally, some go to Florida. Whatever rules that are to be enacted to change driving regulations for seniors had better also take into concern the changes society requires, too. A senior who is not allowed to drive is going to need transit, be it public transit or a family member driver. And, sadly, not every senior has a family member on which to rely. Seniors who cannot get to grocery stores are going to need delivery options; seniors who cannot get out are going to need public health to call on them to make sure they are okay; seniors who are stuck may get bored in empty neighbourhoods or they may become the Neighbourhood Watch and extremely friendly, and possibly annoying, to police.

It seems so easy to talk about seniors losing their drivers' licenses; but, it is a way of controlling they way old people live. Society cannot just pool together and limit what the old can and cannot do; assuming health is not an issue, and all sorts of diseases not all age related can affect driving skill, the simple fact one has turned 80 should not mandate testing. As the demographic bump of the baby boom approaches, certain realities are going to hit: families that haven't bonded are not going to be there for parents; institutional care reminiscent of daycare centres are going to develop; seniors who do not like their life options are going to vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment