Saturday, June 19, 2010

Old Age Does Come Hungrily

The matriarch sat down to dinner this evening and began to eat. It was a sort of Shepherd's pie stew--the casserole a little bit soupy because I notice the food goes down easier for her when it is more liquid than solid. Also, I suspect she doesn't taste much; I am not sure. The matriarch is back to eating her strawberries with sugar; we have gone through almost a pound of sugar this past week. It is almost a sugar bowl a day. Anyhow, we were to have hamburgers for dinner. But the matriarch began to eat before all the children, and even my husband, were seated at the table. It was as though she was starving. I don't believe she was; she ate her lunch and has her chips and bananas in her room; but, to see her eat her supper this evening was to watch a woman trying assauge a momentous hunger. I thought we lost our appetites as we age. The matriarch clearly has not.

No comments:

Post a Comment