Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Anything for Sugar

So, I wrote the matriarch was giving up on solid foods; boy, was I wrong. Last night, I made her colcannon for supper, an Irish dish of mashed potato, spinach and raw onion, all mixed together and she loved it. And, she ate apple pie for dessert, and she ate more, with sugar on top, and she ate the pastry, too. Sometimes, I just watch the woman gum the food down and think, "Unbelievable!"

The matriarch must get as depressed as I do, watching her body no longer be the body it once was. There is nothing to say when I take her for drives; she doesn't ask about the children anymore and, for some, reason seems to think my mother is the last of her surviving siblings and is as sad as the matriarch is. My mother is the second oldest of 10, 8 of whom are still alive; the matriarch is the youngest of 14 and the only one still alive. But, at 99, that is hardly surprising. I don't know why the matriarch would think they have death in common. But, she seems to get funny thoughts lately. My mother-in-law is after my 13 year old to get a job at Tim Hortons; it doesn't seem to matter the child is 13 and not the oldest, they should be working. And, my mother-in-law wants to go to the Mandarin for lunch. And, as I write this, my hand periodically dips into the chipits because there is nothing like not being able to do anything to help someone to make things just generally depressing. I don't know how I want to grow old but I certainly don't want to sit around waiting to die.

No comments:

Post a Comment