Friday, July 30, 2010

The Other

A morally questionable act was committed against me this week and I have been caught in the whole revenge-vendetta nightmare--not the acts, just the daydreams. It sounds so stupid as I write it down but the matriarch has been lost in the shuffle. I have still taken her for the daily drive and the blood tests and my husband still did lunch but my worry has overwhelmed everything and I have not chatted with the matriarch, made the pleasant and unimportant conversation of the daily drives. She has sat silent as I made the moves but not put the thought into my actions. The thought of my distraction hadn't even crossed my mind until I went grocery shopping today and watched a store clerk be oblivious towards an old woman. She wanted some frozen ice cream cones on sale and he barely acknowledged her presence let alone her request. I think people should always look people in the eye when they speak to one another. It is hard to always acknowledge another person's humanity but the effort must always be made. I helped the old lady because no one else would. When I went to the car with my groceries, I sat there for a bit trying not to cry because I had forgotten the old lady in my house.

2 comments: