Sunday, August 29, 2010

Incompetence

Giving up is not the same thing as losing control though I think, sometimes, I confuse the two. The matriarch has mild, very mild, dementia which basically amounts to some confusion, sometimes. It is unpredictable, irregular and I am not supposed to think she uses it on a whim--however, there are times I suspect she does. My big problem, and it is harsh, is my belief people should realize they are aging. My husband, who I tend to forget is almost 60, thinks age is all in the mind and I should get over my expectations. But, then, he is not the one who has to take a 99 year old woman to a beauty salon and explain her wishes to a twenty year old who hasn't a clue but that he is dealing with one very old lady. Of course, I want control; it would make things easier and, of course, there is guilt because easy disrespects my mother-in-law's competency. She knows what is up despite me often thinking she doesn't. It's not done on schedule, this becoming old and losing one's mind. Maybe in a home, my mother-in-law would be on schedule and not to do things to annoy people--my husband figures if his mother didn't have the option of driving people crazy, she'd be dead. But it is hard to reconcile age, wisdom (and, yes, I am giving more credit than normally) and the reality that things fall apart even when we won't admit it.

1 comment:

  1. Is it possible you expect the matriarch -an ordinary non-educated woman, or not highly educated 99 year-old-woman- to think as rationally as you -a highly educated and intelligent woman (and avid reader)? And if you know she is on medication to help her (more lightly is it to help you cope with her!) control her confused brain, why would you think she is capable of being logical? Your world is probable one where everyone in your family is expected to adhere to a set of principles laid down by you and your husband; her world is a collection of memories, real and imagined.

    ReplyDelete