Sunday, August 29, 2010

Things that Really Happen...

So, the stove caught fire today and my youngest made a point of saying, "Not my fault." As we watched the bonfire in the oven and switched off the gas, the matriarch wandered into the kitchen.

"What's for lunch?"

The kids and I turned to look at her and I realized I still had the pot of soup on the stove and it was still warm, fire and all.

"Tomato soup."

My eldest wondered aloud if grandma noticed the oven was on fire; the old lady turned to look and told us to put salt on top of the flames and they would eventually go out.
"Just don't use my shakers."

Obviously, I used all the salt in the house, every shaker but her's, and the boxed salt and the pickling salt and the flames did eventually go out. I was shaking and I think the kids were scared and the oven was a little bit black but the matriarch ate all her soup and said she would have cake when my parents came over. Because stuff like this happens only when my mother comes to visit and the matriarch knows this to be true.

2 comments:

  1. HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! OMG, this is stuff that sitcoms are made of. "What's for lunch?" I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny now, but the fire must have been traumatic for all of you, save for the Matriarch, who had the common sense to advise you about what to do. -Since sodium chloride (salt) is one of the principle extinguishing ingredients in fire extinguishers, it’s no wonder the Matriarch knew about this; it was used way, way back, when she was just a girl. By nature, salt dissipates heat and minimizes oxygen when applied to a fire. Table salt can be used to extinguish grease fires that occur on the stove or in the oven. A Fire extinguisher that have salt in it is best used on kitchen fires.

    Baking soda is a sodium bicarbonate, which has various purposes like putting out small grease or electrical kitchen fires. Baking soda will help smother and cool fires at the base of the flame.

    ReplyDelete