Sunday, November 7, 2010

How to Live Forever and ever and ever and ever and....

Suzanne Somers does a lot of work with bio--I forget what it is called and alternative cancer treatments and holistic living and she takes 20 vitamins a day and rubs estrogen on her face for two weeks one session, then rubs progesterone on her face for the next two weeks and wants to live till she is 120. "Why?" I ask if it takes that much effort.

My mother-in-law will be 100 on her next birthday and I figure she is preserved; the only thing she seems to eat in any kind of habitual way is sugar. A friend told me her neighbour suggested a shot of vodka with a clove of garlic every morning; the garlic must soak in the vodka. I have heard of exercises and diets and hormone therapies all to increase longevity. Why? It makes absolutely no sense to me that people pursue the idea of immortality and won't invest the time to know their neighbour. My husband figures the best way for people to stay alive is to just avoid illness and, in most cases, that is just dumb luck. People ultimately stay alive because they just don't die--sounds silly, doesn't it? But is there any way around that can prevent death that doesn't in some way also prevent life? I listen to Suzanne Somers and admire the focus with which she aims to live a long time; what if she gets hit by a car? All that time she invested in herself will have been for nought.

Socrates talks about the unexamined life not worth living; I don't know if I completely agree. With the matriarch here and child-raising, my life is swallowed by others' concerns. In as much as I have time to examine my life, this blog is it. In my moral world, I don't think there is much time to waste on myself--there is so much to do for others--I don't even think I would bother. Is that a different type of selfishness? Some times I feel lost wondering about these issues. My husband just came in and said ginseng supposedly helps with aging; I'm allergic to it.

1 comment:

  1. Living to a great age has much to do with the luck of the draw. Living happily has lots more to do with the way one treats others and oneself; usually what goes around comes around.

    Wanting to live a very long life has much to do with how one shares their life and their love with others and with themselves.

    It is very wise to count your blessing while you may, and have as few regrets as possible when your loved ones are gone. Leave behind good memories, for they are the greatest source of comfort, and the greatest treasures one can leave behind.

    ReplyDelete