Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Warfarin--for Doctors afraid to let nature take its course

The matriarch is 99--she will die of natural causes or of an accident. She is at home; she is loved; she has all her wants met. Naturally, the doctor has called to change her dosage on Warfarin, upping it, asking for weekly blood tests and justifying the new regime with the notion of stroke prevention. It is terrible taking the matriarch to the blood clinic at any time, but now, it is to be, again, a weekly event with all the concomitant issues of taking a 99 year old woman out in winter, with ice, and she handicapped by a failure to admit she is blind. The woman is healthy; I believe her body is adapting, acclimatizing almost, to the blood thinners and stroke is not a worry. The doctor cannot seem to understand he is making her life uncomfortable, he is not prolonging it--at this rate, he is shortening it by tempting fate. Sometimes I wonder if these health professionals have any common sense at all. My mother-in-law listens to her doctor even when he speaks through me; so, we must go to the clinic, endure the line-up, she must be poked and prodded, and blood taken and, then, we can be free for another week. But is this life? Am I complaining because I think it all so pointless? What happens if the matriarch dies? An autopsy? She's 99--she could die of natural causes at any time, at the blood clinic. Yes, she could have a stroke; she could also be hit by a car; she could also fall and bleed out because she is on blood thinners. And, I know I sound like I am complaining but I am not; I have taken care of the matriarch for far too long to begin to complain now; I know I am a bit of a shrew about it all but I still do it. And, my mother-in-law does not like being on blood thinners and blood tests. She would love to see her doctor but she is not sick; I get the phone calls about new schedules and dosages; she is not allowed to socialize on medicare's dime. I can get all kinds of assistance for illness but not for loneliness...

post script:

I brought my mother-in-law her strawberries with their half cup of sugar and a glass of water for her evening snack; she is sitting up in her room eating potato chips and Werther caramels. She cannot possibly be like any other 99 year old. If I were to list her diet for today alone, no one would believe me.

No comments:

Post a Comment