Thursday, November 11, 2010

Not that I Told You So....

A link to an article written by Margaret Wente in today's Globe and Mail about the extra costs of seniors and their visits to emergency rooms:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/time-to-lead/healthcare/little-old-ladies-are-crashing-the-system/article1794232/

One of the biggest benefits of my mother-in-law living here is that she doesn't get scared anymore. If there is something bothering her physically, I am here to give her an opinion and, if necessary, take her to the doctor. The matriarch does not worry about anything anymore because all her health concerns can be figured out by me or by a quick phone call to a health-line. Previously, I have taken the matriarch to the hospital at 2 o'clock in the morning because she worried herself silly, then phoned me, then waited to go the hospital. And, really, if I am to be totally honest, the event was a social call with nurses and doctors being impressed with a 96 year old still walking around quite normally. But, as Ms Wente observes, there is no cure for old age and, really, a desire to made comfortable or, in the matriarch's case, to have company is the true desire. I wish more doctors made housecalls.

No comments:

Post a Comment