Monday, May 24, 2010

Growing Old

The matriarch is suffering with the heat. We do not have air conditioning but there is a nice breeze throughout the house. She is not eating and is generally lethargic; but it is 30 degrees celcius outside, we are all generally lethargic.

We went to my mother's for dinner tonight and the matriarch was just plain uncomfortable; you don't know what to do in some ways. I know it is uncomfortable but the matriarch wanted a night out, my children wanted to see their other grandparents, sometimes I want to see my parents. So much of our life is circumscribed by the matriarch's presence. I am not calling her a burden, I am saying it is hard to live with her needs all the time. I try to satisfy her needs but I must also satisfy my children's. My poor husband gets left out and as the matriarch ages, he seems to become more annoyed at my neglect. No, that doesn't sound right. He is watching his mother shrink and we all hate waiting for her to die and, as awful as that sounds, there is nothing else to do. Gosh, this sounds so depressing.

This isn't funny but the matriarch nearly fell out of the car at my parents' and when my husband tried to help her, she told him she could see what she was doing and no, she wasn't dizzy as she wandered down the driveway away from the house. You know the matriarch is almost blind and very old but she is still beyond stubborn and determined.

No comments:

Post a Comment