Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Matriarch has a Cold

The poor woman is coughing away, right now. Yesterday, we did the Mother's Day tea and the matriarch, who was only beginning to sniffle, ate nothing and didn't even enjoy a dessert. Though, she did eat the 4 slices (small ones) of the Mango pudding slices I brought home. It is painful to see her with a cold because it affects her so strongly. The matriarch does not have a temperature, just a runny nose and a cough, and my husband and I are debating whether or not to bring her to the Doctor's. With no fever, I cannot see what a Doctor will do; we can buy a cough suppresant over the counter and the matriarch can stay in bed all day. There, obviously, will be no fish and chip lunch today; at least, my husband is pretty sure it will not happen.

Yesterday, my mother thought the matriarch's lips were a bit blue; I think my mom expects a very old senior to be on their deathbed constantly. The matriarch's lips aren't blue, bluish, red with a tinge of blue or any other worrying colour. She does have a cold; she is not dying. Although, as my husband said to my mother, what if she did die? It is not as though it isn't expected.

I don't think my husband wants his mother to die; I believe he will be very upset when she does. However, she is 98, almost 99, we'd be being silly if we weren't expecting it to happen at some point; the woman has lived a long life. We all have to go sometime. Now, I'm sneezing.

3 hours later.

The matriarch got up with sniffles, ate a bowl of Cream of Wheat, another slice of Mango pudding cake, is expecting some of my homemade banana bread (with butter) when it cools and sees no reason why my husband cannot take her for fish and chips. I believe I am going back to bed. Cough. Cough.

No comments:

Post a Comment