Saturday, May 22, 2010

Letters to Juliet

The children and I went to see this film yesterday and it was lovely; there is something terribly romantic about finding true love in one's seventies. I don't quite think my children thought so, but I did. My husband is the product of the matriarch's second marriage; but, I suspect her third husband was her true love. She divorced him in her nineties but we suspect his personality changed because of an undiagnosed stroke. He was 12 years younger than the matriarch and they married when she was 89; it cost us a lot of money because my husband thought he was a gold-digger-which he probably was-and we owned the house in which they refused to live when they married. The house was in a senior's community, it hadn't cost much but it was all we had at the time; I suspect the matriarch might have been living here longer had we not bought it. We had to sell it at a loss. Anyhow, the matriarch and her husband bought another house and went to Hawaii and used to dance to big band records in their living room. It all changed quite quickly a few years into the marriage when the husband's personality altered. But it is still nice to think of what made her happiest; it is still nice to think the matriarch had moments when she was truly happy and that she can still remember them.

No comments:

Post a Comment