Saturday, February 27, 2010

My Husband, his Mother and the Sugar

Yesterday, for whatever reasons, my mother-in-law chose to skip lunch and stay in her room all day. It drove me crazy. I knew something was wrong. We had a snowstorm so none of us went out, the matriarch was annoyed about that; I couldn't do the shopping, so the matriarch is out of chips and I couldn't do anything about that; but, I hadn't a clue why she was so insistent on staying in her room. My husband said not to worry about it. Now, the previous day, I had made the matriarch cream of wheat for breakfast and had poured on a quarter cup of sugar--to say, she ate the whole bowl in record time would be an understatement. Yesterday, I made the same breakfast, but my child offered the sugar and only put on a couple of teaspoons. The children couldn't believe their grandma would get angry over the shortage of sugar. But, the matriarch did--she got up from the table and went to her room and stayed there. The mother-in-law has been here for almost 2 years and sometimes I cannot believe the things that annoy her.

The sugar factor is the only thing I can figure irritated the matriarch; nothing else was done with her or to annoy her. Not that I can figure out, anyhow. So last night, my children made cupcakes and grandma had a couple after supper; then, she watched the news and her television shows and waited for my husband to do her eye drops and bring up her fruit. He brought her two more cupcakes and no fruit. She was angry again. When I said good night, I saw her fruit and sugar deprivation and brought some up to her. I have told my husband his mother likes a bowl of frozen fruit covered with sugar going to bed every night; she likes the syrup and fruit to mix and eats it throughout the night. She never asks for it; she expects it. Sometimes I wonder if people listen to me when I say the woman will eat anything and twice as much if there is sugar on top of it. But I am left wondering about the matriarch. She doesn't ask for sugar or for more sugar; she just becomes angry or annoyed if her sugar requirement doesn't appear. That's not age. But, what do you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment