Monday, November 23, 2009

Ageing Gracefully ?

Lately, I have noticed the Matriarch doesn't spit out food all the time.  She didn't spit anything out at the wedding or when my parents took her for lunch; but, she has been gangbusters for it at lunch and dinner today.  I suggested to my husband that, maybe, she spits food out as retaliation; the weekend was lovely and busy and today, we're back in routine and the mother-in-law is not happy.  Obviously, this isn't an age thing; I mean it is but it is also a symptom of petulance.  The matriarch spent the entire day in her room; refused to come down for tea and muffins this evening and didn't want them brought to her room.  She did have her chocolates, her strawberries and the tea my husband brought to her after dinner but nothing else (unless there is more mystery cheese hidden about!).  I don't know.  I keep hoping a flash of maturity will suddenly hit.  My husband laughs and says to me, "If it hasn't happened yet, why are you eternally hopeful?"

Sometimes, I wonder what I will be like when I am old...I think I'd rather be dead than age in a world that has forgotten about me.  My mother-in-law sits in her room and does nothing unless asked.  I mean she is always willing to go shopping or for a drive or do lunch--without question, she will always do lunch.  But she will not incite or ask to do something; she doesn't even have to ask, she never seems to want to do anything.  It is as though the matriarch wants to be constantly invited back into the world.  That makes it tedious.  One is never sure of what the matriarch does want; she has the right to say "No" and has used it.  I think that is why she spits out food; she is not a rude woman and she must know I have to clean it up; so, I think maybe she is doing it on purpose and she does it when she is annoyed.  But, I can't dance attendance on her.  No one can.  If she was in a home, it would be no different.  Nurses and nursing assistants aren't paid to do lunch everyday and my mother-in-law, believe it or not, really doesn't like old people.  For some reason, she doesn't view herself as old; I don't understand it either but for the fact I look in the mirror and see myself as I was at 17 with all the anxieties and the immaturity.  Oh well.  I am off to read "Delphi Keep" to the children; the matriarch has shut the door because she doesn't like this book.  The next one will have to be another vampire story or a romance, maybe a spy thriller....

No comments:

Post a Comment