Saturday, November 7, 2009

Saturday Night Dinner and an Evil Genius

My youngest child is my husband's nemesis.  Tonight, while trying to sort out, yet again, who was doing the dishes, the kid began to sing at the table "I'm an evil genius.  I'm an evil genius." 
And, avoided doing dishes by exasperating my husband.  His mother shook her head but stayed downstairs to watch or listen to the children's antics.  Sometimes, they drive my husband crazy...and, as much as he thinks he has control, my husband has no say in whatever is going on in the house. I begin to think power, in any sense, is a delusion when it comes to the young and the old.

My mother-in-law was furious at me today; the water heater went and the smaller car went and I had to take the van for my children's basketball and swimming.  No lunch out for her. The matriarch ignored my husband all morning and, when the children and I returned home, she ignored us, too.  You would think at 98 it wouldn't matter so much.  But, she counts on those Saturday luncheons and events were unavoidable.  Oh well.  I don't care.  She stayed downstairs with us after dinner and, I like to think, enjoyed our company.

No comments:

Post a Comment