Friday, November 6, 2009

The Case of the Found Cheese

My mother-in-law gave me a pound of old style cheddar cheese today.  I said, being the sort of person I am,
"Where did you get the cheese?"
"Well, you know..."
No, I don't know.  The matriarch no longer comes shopping with me unless she is short on chips or caramels.  So, I haven't a clue where she got this pound of cheese.  I have talked to her about having food in her room; there have been requests to not keep fruit beyond its mouldy date.  I thought everything was quite clear.  But, the mother-in-law told me she had eaten the first pound of cheese, didn't really like it and was giving me the second.  I have visions of this tiny, old lady sticking pounds of cheese in her rather large handbag as we wandered through a grocery store.

My husband is no help in this matter.
"What are you worried about?"
I don't know--bugs, smells, rotting food.  It scares me she ate a pound of cheese without me knowing.  For God's sake, we live in the same house!  I clean her washroom and vacuum her room.  I want my husband to go through her room and check for hidden food; she can have it, I don't care, but I want to be able to throw it out before it hits the decomposition due date.  Even my children think it's a little bit of an odd habit; they don't want the possible smell.  This is one of those weird arguments partners have: find out if your Mom is hiding food in her room.  My husband doesn't think it's a big deal; I, of course, think it is.  But, it is his mother.  Where did she get the cheese???

No comments:

Post a Comment