Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Time to count the minutes

My mother-in-law got it into her head that my husband wanted a pocket watch.  That idea, in and of itself, is true.  My husband has always preferred a pocket watch to a wrist watch and he broke his last pocket watch a few years ago.  My father-in-law worked for the railway and had an extremely elaborate time piece for the railway per their instructions; he has been dead for almost thirty years and my husband keeps that pocket watch in a safe deposit box.  Somehow, my mother-in-law conflated the two and asked my father to find a jeweler to make my husband a pocket watch for a thousand dollars.  Just to be on the safe side, my father checked with me.  I nearly had a heart attack: a thousand dollars for a watch!?  I don't think so.  But, then, I am prone to jump the gun on things; I double checked with my husband and...he nearly had a heart attack.  His first thought was if his mother wants to give him a thousand dollar watch, he'd prefer the cash.  So, today, in the midst of our drive about town, I asked my mother-in-law about said pocket watch.  At no point in the conversation did she mention she had spoken to my father, but she did allude to a watch she had seen at a garage sale for fifteen cents.  I don't know where this thousand dollar idea came from but, as of this writing, I think the matriarch hopes to buy my husband a watch at Zellers and that is fine.  I mentioned to my husband that maybe I should bring his mother to the doctor to change the medication on her dementia pills; there are degrees to dementia and medication to help with each level.  The matriarch's progression is slow but, maybe, it is time for an up-date.  I don't want her getting confused about something else and not catching it in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment