Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Orangeville and Macbeth

The matriarch has gone for an overnighter at her sister-in-law's in Orangeville; she got up at 6, got dressed and waited, expectantly, for the sister-in-law and her husband to arrive to pick her up.  She waited almost 6 hours; they were late.  Of course, my husband's aunt has had cancer recently and she and her husband are both in their eighties; but there are no excuses...my mother-in-law expected them earlier and was not happy they were late.  The Aunt and Uncle are doing this as a favour to me.  Tomorrow is my birthday and my family is taking me to see "Macbeth" and do lunch; we ordered the tickets last spring.  It, honestly, never occurred to me or to my husband we would be worrying about his mother's presence still being in the house for another winter when we purchased the tickets.  It really didn't cross our minds....

Lately, the matriarch has been extremely draining; she has taken to shaking her mug for tea if it hasn't been poured.  I find it rude and annoying.  My habit as her personal mind-reader has also become burdensome because if I am not around, i.e. in the bathroom, the matriarch will not ask for anything but wait expectantly for some unknowing person to attempt to fulfill her desires.  I know blindness can be a handicap; I didn't think becoming mute went in partnership with it.  Forgive me.  The mother-in-law is not here and my home is my own and it is very hard to decompress.

Though, to be honest, I can't help but think she is driving my husband's Aunt and Uncle crazy in her obscene quest to buy more man-size tissues; I bought her 12 boxes but, apparently, that is not enough.  Sadly, she will remember Wal-Mart didn't have them but Shoppers Drug Mart did and will drive the relatives bonkers going to each and every Shoppers in Orangeville to find more tissues....  Maybe I should have more sympathy for the poor sales clerk who is going to have to help 3 seniors: all over 80, 1 deaf, 1 blind, and 1 wishing he wasn't there.

No comments:

Post a Comment