Saturday, September 19, 2009

Routine

Sometimes nothing changes and we go on day after day.  I don't know what I expect; I hate this sort of waiting and, yet, I don't want anything to change. 

My husband made my mother-in-law corn-on-the-cob for supper; he cut the kernels off the cob and served it in a bowl.  There was lots of butter and salt on it.  And, it looked really good; she didn't eat it.  He doesn't like to admit his mother refuses to eat like a senior or an old person; I always serve corn on the cob on a plate and wait till she asks me to cut the kernels off.  Sometimes, she tries to do it herself and it is a mess.  I am a servant.  I clean it all up.  It could be a power thing.  I don't know.

When the children were little, I just knew what they wanted.  Call it maternal telepathy.  Now, I have daughter-in-law telepathy; though, of course, there are times I am wrong and my husband so enjoys those moments--rare, though, they are.  But, to be clear, when I am wrong it is always in public and the children are around.  Sometimes, I think the matriarch is competing for attention.  I have been told to treat the matriarch like a recalcitrant two year old..only one with adult opinions and wants.  Life just drives me crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment